Home » Financial Aid and Transfer » Scholarships


There are two types of scholarships you can earn to fund your degree at Normandale and your Bachelor’s degree when you transfer:  Need-Based Aid and Merit Aid.  Need-Based Aid is awarded based on your income (or if you are still claimed as dependent on your parents’ taxes, your parents’ income).  Apply for both to get the most money for college.

Need Based Aid

The most important thing you can do to get financial aid is to fill out your FAFSA form before March 15th of each year.  To do this, you will need to do your taxes (or your parents’ taxes, if you are still a dependent).  Get the tax forms together and then go to this website, fill out the forms, and list all the schools you might attend in the next 12 months in the “school code” area.


By filling out a FAFSA, you will find out if you qualify for Federal aid, local scholarships at your college, and Work Study jobs at your college.  The earlier you file the FAFSA, the more need-based aid you are likely to receive.

Merit Based Aid

Every college has different policies for awarding their own merit-based scholarships.  All give scholarships for high GPA’s, and some give awards for excellent writing if you’re majoring in Creative Writing.

Step 1: Keep Your GPA High (or fix it)

Everyone struggles at college at some point, so if your GPA isn’t above a 3.0, it may be worth your while to fix it by retaking classes that received a D or F grade.  These classes won’t transfer to many of our partners anyway, and they drag down your GPA.  Meet with Kris or a counselor to talk about the pros and cons of retaking classes to improve your GPA — every situation is different.  Meet with Kris if you’re having academic concerns.

Step 2: Join PTK at Normandale if you’re eligible. Inductions are within the first month of every semester.

If you have completed 12 or more credits at Normandale and have a 3.5 GPA or above, join Normandale’s Phi Theta Kappa Chapter. Do it as soon as possible. Students in Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) will automatically get thousands of dollars in merit scholarships at most of our transfer institutions.  It costs $100 to join, but there are scholarships to join if you need the money.  There are no participation requirements in PTK, either, so it is not a large time commitment.

Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Award (up to $30,000) http://www.jkcf.org/scholarships/undergraduate-transfer-scholarships/

Other PTK Scholarships http://www.ptk.org/become-a-member/scholarships

Step 3: Apply for Specific Scholarships at Institutions Where You’ve Applied

Contact admissions counselors and financial aid professionals at the colleges where you’re applying and tell them about your talents and skills.  Of course, writing will be one of them, but maybe you’re also a singer, or a percussionist, or an athlete.  Help them find merit awards for you by telling them about yourself, and also telling them that you will need merit aid to attend.

Augsburg College Transfer Scholarship Info: http://www.augsburg.edu/transfer/financial-aid-and-scholarships/

Hamline University Transfer Scholarship Info: http://www.hamline.edu/undergraduate/admission/transfer-scholarships.html

Step 4: Apply for Specific Scholarships That You Qualify For

Here is an incomplete list of opportunities you may qualify for; check them out, and do some research on your own.  You can often pick up merit or need scholarships by writing an essay and/or filling out an application.  For assistance with scholarship essays, contact one of your professors or set up a meeting with Kris.

Non-Traditional Students (over 21 and/or parents)

Association for Non-Traditional Students Awards (must join the organization to apply) http://myantshe.org/scholarships

Minnesota Post-Secondary Child Care Grant – Up to $2,800 per child per academic year to pay for child care while you go to a Minnesota school https://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=140


African American Grants and Scholarships http://www.collegegrants.org/eyes-on-the-college-prize-grants-for-african-american-students.html

Hispanic Grants and Scholarships http://www.collegegrants.org/hispanic-minority-college-grants.html

Hispanic Scholarship Fund https://www.hsf.net/scholarship

Minority Grants and Scholarships http://www.collegegrants.org/exploring-alternative-ways-to-pay-for-college-through-minority-grants.html

Native American Grants and Scholarships http://www.collegegrants.org/native-american-minority-college-grants.html



PEO Grants and Loans ($3,000 – $5,000 grants; up to $12,000 in loans) Designed for women in various stages of life (see specific guidelines for each type of award) http://www.peointernational.org/peo-projectsphilanthropies

Women’s Independence Scholarship Program – Designed for survivors of domestic abuse (see eligibility guidelines) http://www.wispinc.org/Programs/WISP/tabid/62/Default.aspx

Irene Adler Scholarship for Women Majoring in Writing ($1,000) http://www.lucasaykroyd.com/scholarships


Single Mothers

Soroptimist Awards ($3,000 – $5,000) – Designed for single mothers who are pursuing a degree.  December 1 Deadline. http://www.soroptimist.org/awards/apply.html

Patsy Takemoto Mink Award ($2,000) – Designed to assist low-income single mothers with educational expenses http://www.patsyminkfoundation.org//edsupport.html


Women 35 and Older

Jeanette Rankine Scholar Program (award varies) – March 1 Deadline http://www.rankinfoundation.org/

Talbots Scholarship ($10,000 – $30,000) – Early January deadline; only first 5,000 applicants are considered, so apply early https://www.scholarshipamerica.org/talbotswomen/instructions.php